Most young men are very excited about the opportunity to own and carry a pocketknife. In many families this may be a rite of passage. It is important that the Scout understands a pocketknife is a tool and not a toy, and how to responsibly handle and use the pocketknife when he is around others.
Complete the following requirements:
- Learn about three common designs of pocketknives.
- Learn knife safety and earn your Whittling Chip. (One of the items carved for requirement 3A may be used to fulfill Whittling Chip requirement 3.)
- Do one of the following:
- A. Using a pocketknife, carve two items.
- B. With a pocket knife, safely perform each of these tasks:
- 1. Demonstrate how to cut a piece of rope, twine or fishing line;
- 2. Open a sealed box without damaging the contents;
- 3. Open a can with a can opener tool on a pocket knife;
- 4. Remove and replace the screws on an object with the screw driver tool on a pocket knife;
- 5. Open a letter.