See our 2021 Pinewood Derby schedule and details for each day below:
January 10 (Sunday): Cut Day (Pavilion)
– SIGN UP HERE FOR A CUT TIME.
January 23 (Saturday): Weigh-In (Scout Hut)
– SIGN UP HERE FOR A WEIGH-IN TIME.
January 24 (Sunday): Race Day (Virtual)
– Send in your Flipgrid when your car is complete! https://flipgrid.com/p540pwd
Watch the live race HERE at 3pm on 1/24/21: https://youtu.be/d1UWtUYPAIo
January 24th is the SPACE RACE Pinewood Derby
And we have a theme… the SPACE RACE! We can’t wait to see what alien, spacecraft, comet, galaxy or world of tomorrow race car you can create! (of course, you don’t have to stick to the theme. Be true to yourself!) Be sure to follow the instructions below for a perfect car (and give it a great name!). Once you’ve created your car, leave a flipgrid here about your creation and we’ll play it on race day: https://flipgrid.com/p540pwd
Our Pack 540 Cub Scouts will work together with a parent or guardian (you!) to build confidence – and their own custom race car! Please begin with an official Pinewood Derby Race Car kit, then create a carved design from the woodblock provided in the kit.
You can then detail it with paint, decals and accessories, and perfect your strategies to compete in our annual Pinewood Derby Race. It’s s a learning experience centered on teamwork, ingenuity, and sportsmanship.
– Click HERE to find design ideas and build videos
– Click HERE to see our templates
CUT DAY: Sun, Jan 10th, 3-4:30pm at the Pavilion
- PLEASE SIGN UP HERE FOR A CUT TIME. The pack will have a few saws to help cut out your car.
- Please draw on your pinewood block with a template so our leaders can properly cut it for you. You will be given a clip of sandpaper to take home and buff out your car. *see PWD Rules at the bottom of this page.
Cut times: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090B4AADA828A6FF2-pinewood
- Be at the pavilion at your scheduled time and follow social distancing and mask guidance.
- If you are able, please bring a canned good for MUST ministries. We will be collecting food for MUST ministries to honor Pack family members that have been lost due to Covid.
- Check these links from the Scout Shop:
- 10 Tips and Tricks to a Fast and Cool-Looking Pinewood Derby Car
- 5 Basic Pinewood Derby Car Shapes
- Pinewood Derby HQ (Scout Life Magazine)
WEIGH-IN: Sat, Jan 23rd, 10am-12:00pm at the Scout Hut
PLEASE SIGN UP HERE FOR A WEIGH-IN TIME. Your car will be weighed in on the official Pack scales. Your car should weigh as near to 5.0 ounces WITHOUT going over. It should also follow the Pinewood rules below for specifications and measurements.
Weigh In Times: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090B4AADA828A6FF2-pinewood1
We will be selling $1 “shoutouts” for you on-air, and concessions for you to take home! We will be accepting cash or card through Square.
If you need repairs, extra weight, etc. You will need to take your car home and work on it. Try to weigh your car before the weigh in. You will be asked for your car’s race name and be given a race number. Then your car will be safely impounded overnight; you’ll see it the next day at the digital race.
RACE DAY: Sun Jan 24th, 3pm on a virtual platform
Link to view the Nascar-style digital race (Stream via YOUTUBE here), complete with YOUR videos, awesome jokes, and a fully directed broadcasted race. Be sure to send in your Flipgrid when your car is complete! https://flipgrid.com/p540pwd
Please keep in mind that family involvement is still what makes our Pack great! We are in need of some volunteers for other aspects of the race day. If you would like to assist in any way, please email Lindsey at parisianelle@gmail .com
Pack Pinewood Rules
1. All cars must begin with a BLOCK of wood from a Pinewood Derby Kit. Pre-cut derby cars will not be allowed to enter any races.
2. All cars should not be higher than 3 inches from the tabletop.
3. Clearance between wheels on the same axle must be at least 1 3/4 inches.
4. The overall width of the car shall not be more than 2 ¾ inches. The car should have at least 3/8-inch clearance underneath (from tabletop to bottom of car).
5. The length of the car shall not be more than 7 inches.
6. The completed car shall not be more than 5.0 ounces (141.8 grams) as weighed by the official designated Pack Scale.
7. The design of the car must allow for it to be held by the starting gate, and no part of the car can extend beyond the inside edge of the starting gate release rods.
8. The car shall not ride on any type of spring.
9. Distance between the front and rear axles must be the same as comes in the original kit slots. Approximately 4-3/8 inches or 11 CM.
10. The 4 axles furnished with the kit and any official BSA wheels (any color) must be used.
11. Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are not allowed.
12. Wheels may be lightly sanded to remove any burs or imperfections. Wheels cannot be reshaped or altered.
13. The car must be freewheeling with no starting devices.
14.No oil, grease, or silicone spray may be used on the axles or wheels. Only powdered or liquid-to-dry graphite is allowed.
15. Painting and detailing are allowed so long as they are within all rules and acceptable in the spirit of scouting.
16. The car will be impounded at the weigh-in and cannot be altered in any way until the completion of the race.