Welcome to Summer! In order to earn our Pack Summertime Award, you’ll want to attend at least ONE EVENT EACH MONTH for June, July, and August. We’ve planned two activities each month in order to give you options! Scouts who participate in all three pack events are eligible to receive the National Summertime Pack Award pin, which they can wear on the right pocket flap of their uniform.
Saturday, June 11, 2022 @ 9:30am at LOST MOUNTAIN PARK LAKE
We will meet and fish at Lost Mountain Park. There is a fishing lake by the tennis courts, please see the image, showing the way into the park, as well as the short drive up onto the dirt road leading to the lake. There is a small amount of parking here at the red arrow.
- PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN BAIT, rod, chair, water, sunscreen, and snacks. The Pack will not be providing anything due to social distancing requirements. There is some shade via the tree line, popup tents are ok.
Saturday, June 25, 2022, @ 10am at DWUMC Parking Lot
Come and learn some bike safety rules and weave our cones with your Pack Friends! Bring your bike, scooter, or tricycle and have some fun for an hour with us!
DUE WEST ELEMENTARY SERVICE DAY:
Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 9am at DWUMC
We will be doing a bit of service for Due West Elementary School like spreading mulch, weeding, etc. Please bring work gloves and any yard tools (broom, rake, weeder, shovels, wheelbarrow, etc) you may find necessary. Closed-toed shoes, sunscreen and water would be smart to bring!
Saturday, August 20, 2022 @ 3pm at DWUMC
Grab your recycling bin and get creative! Build yourself a boat or raft with a SAIL. Need some guidance on building your boat? Check out some of these rules or the post from the last race (with lots of examples)
Scouts should build boats by creating a boat of their own. They may be decorated in any manner they choose! Get creative, but make sure it’s not too heavy!
- The boat must be newly built for the current Cub Scouting year. As much as practical, the boat should be substantially built by the Scout with parental supervision.
- NO motors allowed. Only wind sails will power the boats.
- Additional parts (visual enhancements) such as Lego Man Drivers or Life Saver rings, decals, paint, and glue are permitted.
- The finished boat length must be no longer than 7.5″ and no wider than 5″ (the race lane is 6″ wide)
- The mast may not be higher than 7” from the deck.
- The sail may not be in contact with any part of the boat except the mast.
Two scouts will race against each other at a time. Each boat must start with the back of the boat touching the end of the rain gutter; the scout should hold it there with one hand. When the starter says go, the kids will propel the boats by blowing on the sail with a drinking straw. THE SCOUT MAY NOT ADVANCE THE BOAT WITH HIS HAND or PHYSICAL STRAW AT ANY TIME. If one does so, he/she will be given a warning and the race rerun if that child wins. If a boat gets broken or sinks during a race, the results stand.
LIFE-SIZE ANGRY BIRDS:
August 27, 2022 @ 2:30 PM (THIS IS A TIME CHANGE) at DWUMC
Wear your sneakers and bring your kicking feet! We’ll be returning to our attempt to knock down those crazy pigs!!
MORE OPTIONS… BINGO!
There will also be a Summertime BINGO game that you can enter as an option! If you and your family are going to be out of town for some of these events, you can print the BINGO card and return it to a den leader as an independent event!