Join us January 26th, 2019 for the 2019 Pinewood Derby.
Partnered with a parent or guardian, Cub Scouts work together, strengthening bonds and building confidence – and their own custom race cars! They begin with an official Pinewood Derby Race Car kit, then create a design, then carve it from the wood block provided in the kit, and detail it with paint, decals and other accessories, and perfect strategies to compete in their pack’s own Pinewood Derby. It’s s a wonderful learning experience centered on teamwork, ingenuity, and sportsmanship – all for the thrill of the race and a lifetime of great memories to share with fellow racers young and old.
10 am weigh-in
5 pm emergency weigh-in (Please come in the morning)
Races will begin promptly at 6 pm
Below are some important Rules of the Pinewood Derby:
1. All cars must begin with a BLOCK of wood from a Pinewood Derby Kit. Pre-cut derby cars will not be allowed to enter any races.
2. All cars should not be higher than 3 inches from the tabletop.
2. Clearance between wheels on the same axle must be at least 1 3/4 inches.
3. The overall width of the car shall not be more than 2 ¾ inches. The car should have at least 3/8-inch clearance underneath (from tabletop to bottom of car).
4. The length of the car shall not be more than 7 inches.
5. The completed car shall not be more than 5.0 ounces (141.8 grams) as weighed by the official designated Pack Scale.
6. The design of the car must allow for it to be held by the starting gate, and no part of the car can extend beyond the inside edge of the starting gate release rods.
7. The car shall not ride on any type of spring.
8. Distance between the front and rear axles must be the same as comes in the original kit slots. Approximately 4-3/8 inches or 11 CM.
10. The 4 axles furnished with the kit and any official BSA wheels (any color) must be used.
11. Wheel bearings, washers and bushings are not allowed.
12. Wheels may be lightly sanded to remove any burs or imperfections. Wheels cannot be reshaped or altered.
13. The car must be freewheeling with no starting devices.
14.No oil, grease, or silicone spray may be used on the axles or wheels. Only powdered or liquid-to-dry graphite is allowed.
15. Painting and detailing are allowed so long as they are within all rules and acceptable in the spirit of scouting.
16. The car will be impounded at the weigh-in and cannot be altered in any way until the completion of the race.